Please also see my home page and list of accomplishments.
Terra Enterprises, Brandon, FL
Dates: Dec. 2005 to present (full-time initially, now part-time)
Position: Project Manager, Web Site Developer/Content Manager, Business Manager
Job Description: Manage all IT and product development functions for a small business (Web/mail order) that manufactures kits for hobbies/collectibles. Manage projects to introduce new product lines. Designed and built Web site (TerraGiftStones.com) including RSS feed, shopping cart, etc. Created all business documentation.
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO (administered government contract)
Dates: April 1-Sept. 30, 2006
Position: Metadata/Imaging Project Coordinator
Job Description: Successfully completed a 6-month government contract for IT project to develop and deploy new software and processes for managing digital assets, metadata and GPS coordinates and integrating the new data with two large information systems. Wrote technical specs for XML code and interface requirements for vendor and did all software testing, developed and diagrammed workflow, created all project documentation.
U.S. National Park Service, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Washington, DC
Dates: Oct. 1, 2000 to July 29, 2005
Position: Digital Library & Information Portal Project Manager/Digital Library Program Mgr
Job Description: Managed multi-faceted, multi-phased project to develop and deploy large metadata and digital asset management system. Created a new national program to support the completed project.
- Managed the design and development of large digital asset management system including in-house work and various outside contracts. Managed schedule, budget, purchases, did all staff and management presentations, administrative documentation
- Completed all aspects of system, data and information architecture using metadata software Repository/Oracle/XML (Blue Angel MetaStar), Harvester Tools and LizardTech image server (XML/XSL). Performed User Interface studies and used these to adapt Web interface, functionality and data dictionaries.
- Managed the project to design and deploy an information portal system for one-stop searching across 20 NPS and partner database systems.
- Ensured that all industry standards and best practices were identified and incorporated into design such as XML/XSL, SOAP Messaging, ANSI Z39.50; and international metadata, digitization and archiving standards
- Developed new program that provided national guidance on standards and best practices for metadata, imaging, and system interoperability
- Coordinated the implementation of dozens of smaller projects that created thousands of metadata records for digital images, texts, architectural drawings, etc.
- Developed taxonomy/subject thesaurus integrated with the Data Entry system that is used by customers for hierarchical browsing of records.
Miami-Dade College, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Miami, FL
Dates: Jan. 1999 to Oct. 2000
Position: Project Analyst for Information Systems
Job Description: Supported the organization and management of technical information systems and processes; designed and implemented the college Digital Library and Information Portal using XML based metadata tools (Blue Angel MetaStar), Harvester tool and image/video server ; created electronic technical documentation to support OCIO projects; was CIO troubleshooter for projects that had stalled; drafted college 5 year technology plan
Florida International University, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Miami, FL
Position: Coordinator for Computer Applications (May 1998 - Dec. 1998)
Position: Coordinator for Data Modeling (July 1997 - May 1998)
Job Description: Supported the organization and management of technical information; developed data model, user access interface, and draft policies and procedures for University Digital Library (Blue Angel MetaStar metadata software and IBM video/imager server); created electronic technical documentation; developed on-line user assistance information and interfaces for FIU community.
- Microsoft Project, Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Access, Visio
- Adobe PhotoShop; Corel Draw;
- HTML, XML, some XSL and XSL-T
- National metadata standards - MARC, Dublin Core, FGDC/CDGSM
- MetaStar metadata management system (Repository on Oracle 9i; XML data integration); Blue Angel Harvester
- LizardTech image server (using XSL style server); DjVu and GeoExpress for digital text and image creation
- Project management methodology - Work Breakdown Structures, network analysis, change control management, et al.
- M.Ln. Library and Information
Management, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- B.A. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Project Management - completed 48 hours of project management and PMBOK method training
Selected Publications and other Professional Participation
- Digital Photo Metadata Standard User Guide – wrote user guide (including HTML code) for creating and maintaining metadata for digital images (Sept. 2006) ; also wrote user guide for creation of metadata for all information types using NPS Focus digital asset management system currently used nationally by over 500 users (March 2005) - http://npsfocus.nps.gov/docs/guide/index.html.
- Web Publishing Policy of the National Park Service (Copyright, Privacy, Sensitivity) – researched and wrote policy covering copyright (including ‘works for hire’), privacy and security for the Web publication of digital objects - August 2005 (http://npsfocus.nps.gov/docs/guide/ImagePublishingPolicy.html)
- "NPS Focus Digital Library: Preserving America's Information Resources" - presentation on imaging/metadata to the National Register for Historic Places, April 7, 2005
- "What is XML and Why Should You Care?" - presentation to the Web Council, National Park Service, Dec. 3, 2002
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative – participated in international meetings that developed the standard in 5/1997 (Helsinki), 6/1998 (Washington, DC), 7/1999 (Frankfurt), and 8/2000 (Ottawa)
- "Building Gateways to Digital Resources" - presentation at the American Society for Information Science (ASIS) Annual Conference, Nov. 3, 1999.
- "Starting a Digital Library on Your Budget" - presentation to the Special Libraries Association, Florida & Caribbean Chapter, Oct. 23, 1998.
- "Developing a Basic Technical Services Workstation" - presentation to the Florida Library Association, Technical Services Interest Group, May 8, 1997.
- "Implementing New Cataloging Workstation Software: Being a Beta Test Site" with Mirtha Hernandez (FIU) and Malka Schyndel (FAU) - Poster session delivered at the American Library Association Annual Conference, July 12, 1996.
- "MARC Format Integration and Seriality: Implications for Serials Cataloging," Serials Librarian, vol. 18, no.1/2 (1990), p.37-45. [article on managing metadata]
Additional Employment, Education and Presentations/Publications provided on request